The following tools are what we use, and suggest. You should use the tools you are most comfortable with, and very often someone will open an app and think “Hey! This is perfect!” We all have different workflows, so experiment a little.
We don’t recommend Internet Explorer in part because it doesn’t follow W3 standards, but also because of it’s lack of decent CSS editor tools. Safari‘s inspector works well for most people’s issues. Opera is transitioning to WebKit (what powers Chrome and Safari), and while it’s powerful, it can be confusing for newbies.
- Text Editors: NotePad++, TextPad
- SSH: PuTTY (see also PuTTY Commander)
- Code Editors: Sublime 2, Komodo Edi
- Text Editors: TextWrangler, TextEdit (built in to OSX)
- SSH: iTerm2, Terminal (built in to OSX)
- Code Editors: Sublime 2, Komodo Edit, Coda (not free)
Linux is complicated by not being as ‘standard’ as Windows or Mac. There isn’t just one OS. On the other hand, Linux comes with most of these tools built in, so check your version to see what’s there!
- Text Editors: Coming Soon
- SSH: Coming Soon
- Code Editors: Coming Soon